The regional seminar was organised in Odorheiu Secuiesc, Harghita county on the 23rd of September 2015. The purpose was to disseminate the results of the social mapping of socio-economically deprived localities in Covasna, Harghita and Mureș counties. Another goal of the event was to analyse the potential for inclusive development in the three counties, according to the needs and resources identified by the sociological survey, together with the stakeholders who participated in the event. Representatives and specialists of local and county-level public authorities and, institutions with attributions in the field of social inclusion, professionals from nongovernmental organisations, and representatives of the already existing formal and informal structures within the marginalised communities (including Roma communities).
Phtotos from the event here
The agenda of the event comprised the presentation of the “United Networks – integrated initiative for social inclusion of marginalized communities”, and of the results of the mapping done within the project. Then there were three workshops in parallel aimed at analysing the potential of inclusive development in the three counties, according to the needs and resources identified by the mapping.
The subjects discussed on the occasion of the workshops were:
- Data as instruments of inclusive local development: The conclusion of the workshop entitled “Data as instruments of inclusive local development” was that the methods of institutional data collection should be improved in order to allow a systematic, longitudinal screening and evaluation of changes, even if aggregated statistical data could hardly completely reflect the complexity of local-level situations.
- Participative strategies for local development: At the workshop entitled “Participative strategies for local development” the importance of the following aspects was emphasized:
– The community should be open to economic development and growth;
– The community should define its problems and needs;
– Apart from the strategy, it is essential for the principles, orientations and action plans to be well defined;
– Sustainability in the long run and permanent monitoring should be considered.
- Social interventions for the social inclusion of disadvantaged groups: local experiences: Within the workshop entitled “Social interventions for the social inclusion of disadvantaged groups: local experiences” two existing and successful projects were presented with the aim of serving as a good example for the participants. The first initiative presented by Mr Adolf Papp was the project for the Roma from Őrkő, a village near Sfântu Gheorghe. The next initiative was Pata Cluj, a social intervention project that uses an integrated approach to social inclusion. Within this initiative the Community Association of Roma from Coastei was also presented. Its representatives – Greta Linda and Greta Elena Rita – presented the objectives of the association and the daily life of the Roma from Pata Rât.